Saturday 8 December 2012

Day Thirteen

Today is the last day of riding.  We had about 50-55km riding today and most of it was off road.  We rode out to the Roulous temple, which is one of oldest temples in Siem Reap.  I got a few pictures, but then the battery in my camera ran out as I forgot to charge it the night before.  Thankfully, I stil had my iPhone which allowed me to take some photos.  We spent about 30 minutes here and to be honest, it wasn't a lot different from from the other temples we've seen so far, but it had some great statues of lions and elephants that were mostly in tact.  Through the dirt roads there were many houses and the local children would run out and screm "hello" to us.  Some would even stick their hands out for high fives and we rode past.  I have to say that one of the highlights of this trip has been the kids and how excited they get to see a group of foreign riders come past.

We left the temple and cycled to a massive lake area where there is a floating village, the Kampong Phluck.  The people at the village live off the eco system of the surrounding water and selling what they fish.  It is not particularly clean water in the lake and is largely fed from the Mekong river, but the villagers have learnt to within the environment very well.  There was even one building with a solar panel on it.  We stayed here for lunch were the local restaurant had prepared a pincic lunch for us.  It was a great area and we even got time for a small rest before having to head on back to the bikes by boat.  Once we got back to the bikes, it was more dirt riding until we go back to the hotel.  Time to freshen up for our last dinner together.

At dinner, which was great food again, we exchanged our secret santa gifts which was a whole lot of fun.  Everyone in the restaurant was watching us as we each took a seat on Santa's knee (Simon) and collected our presents.  I was given a Cambodian Soccer Team shirt.  I guess whoever my secret Santa was got to know me a little while we've been on this trip.  After lunch, we all went out for a few celebratory drinks and a bit of dancing.  It was a good night out and it will be sad to have to say goodbye to these great people tomorrow.
Apologies for the brevity of this post, but I am writing it on the morning that we have to leave and I still need to do some packing.  See you back in Melbourne.

The pictures are of a part of the temple and the floating village.



No comments:

Post a Comment